tracking

Monday, February 27, 2012

Some Lovely Finds

We've got the antiquing itch, and we've got it bad! A few years ago, I started a fabulous collection of 1950s dinnerware by collecting a functional set of the Temporama pattern by Canonsburg Pottery. It's a great representation of oven-to-table dinnerware, typical of the 1950s and 60s, when serveware designers produced some great pieces that were highly versatile. Dinner could be cooked in a casserole, served on a plate, and then reheated later on that same plate. Revolutionary, considering the microwave heyday was still a few decades away. I love this set in particular because of the modern-style pattern - I've had many people ask me what modern store I purchased the set in. I also love it because it uses my favorite color palette in the whole world - dusty blues and tans. I've since painted my kitchen to match.

Once I'd completed my everyday set, however, I stopped buying. Life happened, the Bean happened, and I also lost my great Temporama hookup at the local antiques mall. I could purchase pieces to complete the set on ebay or etsy, but that's just not as much fun unless they are both super rare AND a super steal - hard to find when it comes to vintage wares these days.

Fastforward to New Year, 2012. For Christmas, I splurged and bought myself one of those rare steals I mentioned - I picked up a lovely coffee pot. Then, a deviled egg plate. Then, for Valentine's Day, the Husband and I took a day trip to a small town in PA known for its great antiques houses. And the itch caught both of us. Of course we were hunting for more Temporama, but I had also decided that some sour cream glasses and pyrex casseroles would help to flesh out my fetish for this particular era of kitchen stuffs.

On my trip to Autumn House Farm last weekend, we spent an afternoon antiquing in nearby Punxsutawney, and I scored. I found a beautiful pyrex bowl with a hot air balloon pattern - and it is MY COLOR! Simultaneously, the Husband was out with his family and the Bean, and picked up two lovely casseroles which were also in my favorite color and decorated with snowflakes - so adorable. And then, this afternoon, the Husband and I went on a lunch date to a local shop, finding some lovely "swankyswigs," collectible glasses that were created by Kraft in the 1940s to hold cream cheese. (It was just after the Depression. If people were going to splurge on cream and cheese, they'd appreciate doing so much more if they got a useful glass out of the deal.)

And so it is that I share with you our latest spoils. I'm so proud of these finds, because they truly were finds - no internet involved. And they represent the rekindling of an interest that the Husband and I enjoy together and use to make our home and kitchen more beautiful. Aren't they lovely?

Three lovely Pyrex finds, and four adorable Swankyswigs

No comments: