tracking

Thursday, January 5, 2012

More Christmas, Please!

Christmas, 2011 was not the Bean's first Christmas, but it was the first one that she was aware of. And, man oh man, did that girl embrace the season! I mean...literally embrace it. Ornaments received kisses and hugs, snowmen pats on the head, and the baby Jesus was literally rocked in the Bean's rocking chair. Christmas was also a great language learning opportunity. Added to the vocabulary were the words tree, lights, "boo-ful," angel, star, snowman, and on and on. Each glimpse of a sparkling scene brought more "oohs" and "aahs" that escalated into giddy shrieks and wild clapping. This season was one of true joy, experienced anew through the wondering eyes of my one-year-old.

One of the memories that I will hold with me forever is that of decorating the Christmas tree together. I wasn't sure how it would go - one-year-olds can be surprisingly destructive and/or disinterested but have the equal potential to be captivated and attentive to something they find interesting. Let's just say the Bean was captivated. We truly decorated the tree together. I would gather a few ornaments from their storage box, instruct Bean to be careful, and she would remove them from their individual packages. She watched, eyes wide, as I placed each piece on the tree, identifying each character and object as they were hung. As I finished hanging each small group of ornaments I'd fetched, I was confronted by two frantically signing hands - MORE! MORE!

The Bean signs "More!"


Bean was so excited by the hanging of the ornaments that each time we ran out, she demanded even more excitedly than the last that we find more to put up. I would grow excited and comply...

...until we ran out. And then Bean cried. Hard. Her hands signed harder and harder - "MORE!" coupled with "PLEASE!" As I gently placed the empty boxes and wrappings into the storage container, and we closed the box together, the Bean finally understood that we'd run out. So we commenced ogling the tree, pointing out our favorite decorations and giggling as we made the oinking sound of the pig ornaments.

It was such a joyful, beautiful evening. One of the first experiences we truly shared together.

Fast forward to today, the third day back to work. It has surprised me that returning after this week-long Christmas break has been nearly as difficult as returning for the first time after four months of maternity leave. It was indescribably wonderful to have so many precious moments with my daughter and our family. The first day back to work had me feverishly demanding of the universe,"More Christmas, please!!"

Tiny hands work feverishly to hang ornaments

And though the lights and tree may be soon headed for the basement again, I pray that I am able to hold onto and carry forward the intense presence and closeness of Christmas into the year ahead.

No comments: